Current Students + Transfer Students
Start of School Information
We are thrilled to welcome you to the SHC community! This page serves as a resource to you and your family as you prepare for the 2015-16 school year. Please note that after September 1, 2015, the information provided here will transition to Schoology Groups for your graduating year.
Check this website often as we will continue to update important deadlines and information.
- Summer Mailing: A packet with various school forms such as the student course schedule, emergency contact form, etc. will be mailed to homes on Tuesday, July 7. Start of School Information includes, how and where to purchase school polo shirts from Lands’ End, textbooks, the schedule for the first week of school, etc. A special schedule for Transfer students has been created for the start of school on Friday, August 21.
- Summer Assignments
English 3,4 Honors
Please read Parts One, Two, and Three (chapters 133) of John Steinbeck’s, East of Eden, by the first day of class.
AP English Literature and Composition
- Please read The Iliad, by Homer (Penguin / Robert Fagles translation) and complete four companion assignments via iBook. iPads from the SHC library available for your use during the summer; please see http://shcp.libguides.com/aplit for class resources.
- Read The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin (any edition.)
Students will be assessed on all reading upon returning to school.
AP English Language and Composition
In addition to the One School, One Book title, Michael Pollan’s Food Rules, AP English Language and Composition students are required to read: Malcolm Gladwell’s David and Goliath [Please note: This is a change from Gladwell’s Outliers.] Assessment will vary by course section but please be prepared to analyze and discuss at length.
Languages Other Than English (LOTE)
To view a complete list of LOTE Summer Assignments, click here.
Senior Seminar Summer Assignment
Visual & Performing Arts (VPA)
To view a complete list of VPA Summer Assignments, click here.
- 2015-16 Booklist: The student schedule will be mailed to you in early July. Please click here to browse our online bookstore, though texts may be purchased through any site.
- Summer Reading: All students are required to complete the SHC One School, One Book selection, Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual, by Michael Pollan before the beginning of school in August. You are encouraged to purchase the illustrated edition. All students will take an objective test during the first week of school. Quizzes will take place in the following classes:
- Commuter Bus: For information or to register, click here.
- Immunization Form: Due July 31 to the Registrar.
- Online Physical forms: If you plan on participating in a sport during the 2015-16 school year, complete the following:
Athletic Pre-participation Physical Exam Form AND Student-Athlete Medical Clearance Form need to be completed. Due July 31.
- Language Other Than English Choice Form: Please indicate what language you’d like to take while attending SHC.
- Student & Family Information: This is a required form, please complete as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, contact Registrar & Academic Administrative Assistant, Carol Collins at 415.775.6626 ext. 868.