- Class of 2017
- Departments & Courses
- Educational Technology
- Inquiry & Innovation Program
- De Paul Scholar Program
- Service Learning
- Academic Explorations
- Summer Assignments & Booklist
- Summer High School
- Community Life
- Irish Athletics
- Team Pages
- Traditions & Champions
- Fitness Center/Weight Room
- Sports Medicine
- Eligibility, Safety & Documentation
- News & Events
- Summer Institute
- La Salle Academy
- De Paul Academy
- Chess & Game Strategy
- Coding & Digital Animation
- Community Service & Social Justice
- Digital Photogtaphy
- Graphic Drawing: Cartoons, Comix & Animation
- Journalism & Digital Media
- Outdoor Adventures & Survival Skills
- San Francisco Neighborhood History
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Academy
- Fightin' Irish Sports Academy
- Lunch Program & Extended Care
- Online Registration
Inquiry & Innovation Program
SHC’s STEM Initiative
The Inquiry & Innovation Program is a dynamic four-year academic and enrichment program that focuses on science, technology, and math using project based learning and evolving 21st century learning tools. The program inspires students to ask critical questions and discover inventive solutions to complex challenges. It includes hands-on summer workshops, leadership opportunities in technology, access to a wide array of Honors and Advanced Placement courses, our vibrant humanities curriculum, and collaborative service learning. Inquiry & Innovation Program members are among our top applicants, displaying high academic achievement (typically 3.5 GPA or above) and exemplary standardized test scores (especially in the areas of math and science).
Program members will:
- Be placed in ninth grade algebra honors or advanced algebra/trigonometry.
- Be placed in a dedicated section of ninth grade physics.
- Participate in Academic Explorations and summer workshops on an array of topics including: design thinking, creativity, gaming, fabrication, robotics, or biotechnology.
- Be leaders within the SHC community (e.g., be an active member of the Student Tech Team, Theater Tech, Makers Club, Inquiry & Innovation Design Team, etc.).
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA at SHC.
- Pursue local and national internships in research, science, engineering, and technology.
The Inquiry & Innovation Program curriculum integrates with SHC’s Catholic, college preparatory course of studies, and includes:
- Four plus years of math.
- Four plus years of science.
- One or more computer programming or web design courses.
- Online learning opportunities (e.g., AP computer science).
- A self-directed capstone project/portfolio that serves as a culminating experience for the program.
SHC students may opt-in to the Inquiry & Innovation Program at the end of their first year of studies provided that they meet the above criteria and with the approval of the Director of Studies and the Inquiry & Innovation Program Director.